Damage and Recovery from WWII

1944 Keio Professional Medical Unit established in response to critical shortage of Army physicians, producing 463 Army medics by 1951.
1945 About sixty percent of campus buildings lost in an air raid on May 24.
While under massive firebomb attacks, nurses, medical staff and students succeed in rescuing more than 200 inpatients. Through the efforts of the Yamagata Sanshikai, students evacuated to Oishida in Yamagata Prefecture, where coursework continues. Since most of the laboratory equipment like microscopes, samples and books were already taken to safety, Keio is among the first to resume instruction after the war.
1945 The Pacific War ends on August 15.
Physical examinations continue at the Hospital Annex. Facilities at the Hiyoshi Campus seized by U.S. forces. Premedical courses move to Higashi-Ikuta, Kawasaki City. (Until autumn 1949)
1946 Basic medicine classes move to the Musashino branch campus. (Until spring 1956)
1948 Main Hospital Building completed. It is a two-story building with 153 beds, and one of the largest postwar wooden structures in Japan.
1950 Dr. C.N.H. Long invited from Yale University, and a clinical pathological conference held.
The clinicopathological conference, or CPC, is a teaching tool that illustrates, through joint lectures, the use of differential diagnosis when evaluating a patient. Keio is the first to introduce this method in Japan.
1950 Electron Microscope Laboratory established.
1950 Nursing School established.
1952 The School of Medicine approved under the new educational system. The Keio Journal of Medicine launched.
Dr. Shibasaburo Kitasato Centennial
First Kitasato Prize awarded by Sanshikai.
1952 Ha Wing, Ho Wing (now Wing 2 Wards), Ni Wing (later Wing 6 Wards) and Ni Special Wing (now Wing 7 Wards) constructed between 1952 and 1954. According to long-term construction plans, reinforced concrete wards are laid out in the shape of the kanji for ‘king’, 王.
1955 Postwar education system established. The new system offers a 2-year premedical course and a 4-year specialized course.
1956 Doctoral program at the Graduate School of Medicine established.
1958 Keio University Centennial Ceremony held.
First Lecture Hall for Basic Medicine and Third Lecture Hall for Basic Medicine (now East Lecture Hall) constructed in 1956 and 1957, respectively, as part of the Keio Centennial Project. Third Lecture Hall completed thanks to donations from the Rockefeller Foundation.
1961 Second Lecture Hall for Basic Medicine completed thanks to donations from the China Medical Board of New York.
1963 Hospital Central Wing completed.